Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups pink grapefruit juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion, plus 2 tablespoons,divided
- 2 teaspoons seeded and chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro leaf, plus
- 1 teaspoon cilantro leaf, divided
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 16 key west shrimp
- 2 -3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 whole tomatoes, cored and seeded,diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled cut into segments
- 1 orange, peeled,cut into segments
- In small saucepan, bring juices, 1/2 cup onion, pepper, 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, brown sugar and salt to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer until liquid is reduced by half about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour through fine strainer, reserving liquid.
- Chill until cool.
- Pour 2/3 of marinade over shrimp, reserving remaining marinade for stew.
- Let shrimp marinate in covered container in refrigerator 1 to 2 hours.
- Marinade can be prepared ahead of rime, and shrimp can marinate in refrigerator up to 48 hours before cooking and serving.
- Blanch potatoes about 8 minutes, until tender.
- In saute pan, bring reserved marinade to boil.
- Add potatoes, tomato, the remaining 2 tablespoons red onion and the remaining 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro.
- Reduce sauce by three-quarters; add citrus segments.
- While sauce is cooking, remove shrimp from marinade.
- Discard marinade.
- On char broiler or grill top, grill shrimp about 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve shrimp on bed of rice with stew ladled on top.