Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Both the peach relish and the pork benefit from an overnight rest in the refrigerator; the relish mellows in flavor, and the pork becomes even more tender in the fiery marinade. From Gourmet Magazine.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm-ripe peaches
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 scallions, trimmed (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon molasses (not robust or blackstrap)
- 1 teaspoon scotch bonnet peppers (to taste) or 1 teaspoon habanero, hot sauce* (to taste)
- 2 pork tenderloin (1 3/4 to 2 lb total)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for basting
- Make relish: Cut a shallow X in bottom of each peach and tomato with a sharp paring knife and blanch in 2 batches in a 4-quart saucepan of boiling water 10 seconds. Transfer peaches and tomatoes with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel peaches and tomatoes, then halve peaches lengthwise and pit. Cut peaches into 1-inch pieces. Coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Cook onion, ginger, and salt in oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add peaches and tomatoes with any juices, sugar, and lime juice and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and peaches are tender but still hold their shape, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool, uncovered, then chill, covered, at least 8 hours.
- Marinate pork: Combine scallions, thyme, salt, allspice, pepper, lime juice, molasses, and hot sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Put pork in a nonreactive dish and rub all over with marinade. Marinate, covered and chilled, turning occasionally, 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
- Grill pork: Discard any marinade remaining in dish, then brush pork lightly with oil and grill on a lightly oiled grill rack, turning occasionally and basting frequently with oil, until thermometer inserted diagonally into center of meat registers 145°F, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board and let stand 15 minutes. (Internal temperature will rise to about 155°F.) Serve pork with relish.