Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
High in fiber and low in calories, grilled eggplant makes a great addition to your main meal. COOK'S TIP: For an alternative serving suggestion, marinate the eggplant overnight in the vinaigrette described below, grill until lightly brown, and serve on crusty rolls topped with Montrachet goat cheese slices - DELICIOUS!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 japenese eggplants
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups finely sliced Chinese cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1Wash eggplants and pat dry with paper towels, set aside.
- 2In a small mixing bowl combine the Chinese 5-spice powder, onion powder, garlic salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- 3Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise, brush with olive oil and rub the mixed spices on both sides.
- 4Grill over low heat for about 5 minutes on each side, or until tender.
- 5Arrange cabbage on serving plates and top with grilled eggplant; drizzle with the asian vinaigrette.
- 6Top with the fresh mint, feta, and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- 7Asian Vinaigrette:.
- 8In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients except the vegetable and sesame oils. With the blender/processor running, slowly pour in the vegetalbe oil followed by the sesame oil. Process for 10 to 15 seconds longer. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (If necessary, whisk before serving.).
- 9COOK'S TIP: Leftover vinaigrette makes for a tasty salad dressing or marinade for fish.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Japanese Eggplant With an Asian Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (618 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.9
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 761.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 18.5 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder