Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
Hot and spicy flank steak served as an appetizer. Habaneros set this steak on fire. Ya Mon! Use Scotch Bonnets if you got 'em. I serve this as an appetizer as most people can't handle the heat through a whole meal.
- 2 lbs flank steaks or 2 lbs skirt steaks or 2 lbs top round beef
- 1⁄2 cup habanero pepper, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the flank steak on a slant as thinly as poossible.
- Place each piece of steak between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and 1pound until 1/4 inch thick or about the thickness of a beer bottle cap.
- Make the hot pepper paste: In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Rub the steak rounds with about 2/3 of this paste and reserve the remainder.
- Grill the steak rounds over high heat for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until they are medium rare.
- Brush liberally with the remaining hot pepper paste.
- Fair warning: I really like hot stuff, and I find this to be awesome. If you don't like hot stuff, don't make this.
We decided to brave this as a main dish because we love spice. While this was very hot, we enjoyed it very much. We ate as steak sandwiches with a slice of cheese melted on top to cut the spice. Very yummy. If you love spice, you will love this. Made for My-3-Chefs 2009.