Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes a fantastic summer meal with minimal clean-up. With the abundance of fresh vegetables, this is a meal itself served with garlic bread. The okra pods and mushrooms are both listed as optional. You may add one or both or leave them out.
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 6 -10 okra pods, steam cut off, cut into 1 inch lengths (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, quartered (optional)
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- Place the sausages in a small amount of water and bring to a boil; boil for 3 to 4 minutes or until they are no longer pink; remove from water and allow to cool slightly.
- Mix together the vegetables, oil and seasonings.
- Tear 2 sheets of foil (10x10inch), divide the prepared vegetables among the foil sheets, slice the sausages into 1 inch lengths and place on top.
- Season each packet with salt and pepper to taste, bring foil up to center and fold over several times, sealing well; fold in ends and seal.
- Preheat grill, place packets on grill and cook 10 minutes, turn over and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Fabulous no fuss, no muss meal!! I did a few things differently, I forgot fresh garlic at the store so I had to use garlic powder. I also decided to cut each sausage link into 3 sections and add it into the packet uncook, that way I cut back on the olive oil and the juices from the sausage permeated everything. I also played with the veggies. I cut the squashes into strips, added some raw potato strips (to make it stodgier for the husband), chunked a red pepper, and added halved baby carrots. I double wrapped them in foil and cooked over medium coals for 30 minutes, turning three times. It was amazing!!! the onions and potatoes carmelized a bit and the juices from the sausages along with the spices was perfect!! I will be making this little gem often, I promise you.
Left out the optional okra. We used Fit N' Active sausages. While I didn't eat any, the family thought they were a little bland. Hard to believe with all the seasoning, so I am assuming the sausage wasn't as flavorful as the usual Italian sausages we get. I would assume the juices from the sausage would add flavor to the veggies while they are cooking. Next time I will make with our usual sausage and update the review accordingly.
Such a nice, easy dinner. I used German sausages and skipped the okra (not a big fan, lol). Since the weather was cold and wet I baked these at 350F for 20 minutes and we really enjoyed them. Thanks, Paula, for a nice easy meal. Made for What's on the Menu tag.