This is a variation of Mysterygirl's panini recipe (Panini Sandwiches) that I came up with when I had a craving for Italian sausage. I must say that it turned out really great, but try it for yourself! Amounts are for one sandwich - just multiply as necessary.
- Put sausage in small pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Once water boils, prick the sausage with a fork several times so that the grease comes out as it cooks.
- Boil sausage for 5 minutes, or until it looks at least halfway cooked.
- Remove sausage from water, and either rinse it under warm water (there might be some scum on it), or wipe it with a clean paper towel.
- Preheat George Foreman grill.
- Slice sausage in half, lengthwise.
- Place sausage cut-side down on hot grill, and cook until done (about 5 minutes or so).
- Place cheese in bun, then add sausage, and top with roasted red peppers and/or your own favourite additions such as hot banana peppers, marinara sauce, olives, tomatoes, fresh basil, etc, etc.
- Close sandwich and grill in George Foreman until the bread is golden and crispy.
- Cut sandwich in half and enjoy!
Yummo! I added grilled onions and marinara sauce. Very good!
Yummy! I used turkey Italian sausage and followed your simple ingredient list, except for sprinkling on some crushed red pepper for a little extra kick. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Mel!