Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Inject some spice into your next barbecue with quick and easy Italian sausage burgers, fresh off the grill. The slices of mozzarella and sun-dried tomato mayo make simple, savory finishing touches.
- Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Mix beef, sausage and bread crumbs in large bowl. Shape mixture into 6 patties, about 1/2 inch thick and 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cover and grill patties 4 to 6 inches from medium heat 12 to 15 minutes, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center reads 160°F Top patties with cheese. Cover and grill about 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. add bread slices to side of grill for at least 2 to 3 minutes of grilling, turning once, until lightly toasted.
- Spread toasted bread with mayonnaise; top 6 bread slices with lettuce, tomato and patties. Top with remaining bread slices.
- SUBSTITUTION: If you can't find sun-dried tomato mayonnaise, mix up your own by combining 1/3 cup mayonnaise with about 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Regular mayonnaise works just fine as well.
- SUCCESS: To keep food safe while grilling, always separate uncooked foods from cooked foods, and each other, too.
- SERVE WITH: Pair these hearty sandwiches with an Italian-style pasta salad, homemade or from the deli, or maybe a bagged Caesar salad.