Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Inject some spice into your next barbecue with quick and easy Italian sausage burgers, fresh off the grill. The slices of mozzarella and sun-dried tomato mayo make simple, savory finishing touches.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bulk hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 ounce mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 12 slices Italian bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Mix beef, sausage and bread crumbs in large bowl. Shape mixture into 6 patties, about 1/2 inch thick and 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cover and grill patties 4 to 6 inches from medium heat 12 to 15 minutes, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center reads 160°F Top patties with cheese. Cover and grill about 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. add bread slices to side of grill for at least 2 to 3 minutes of grilling, turning once, until lightly toasted.
- Spread toasted bread with mayonnaise; top 6 bread slices with lettuce, tomato and patties. Top with remaining bread slices.
- SUBSTITUTION: If you can't find sun-dried tomato mayonnaise, mix up your own by combining 1/3 cup mayonnaise with about 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Regular mayonnaise works just fine as well.
- SUCCESS: To keep food safe while grilling, always separate uncooked foods from cooked foods, and each other, too.
- SERVE WITH: Pair these hearty sandwiches with an Italian-style pasta salad, homemade or from the deli, or maybe a bagged Caesar salad.