2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 50 mins
My friend, Kendra, who enjoys cooking, needlecrafting, helping the homeless, and shuffleboard gave me this and said it is really a nice roast to grill when it is too hot to turn on the oven. Notice that you need to marinate it the night before, I have not included the marinading time in the preparation time. Because charcoal grilling varies with temperature of coals, size of grill, weight of meat, etc. I urge you to use your meat thermometer to get it to your own family's preference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chuck roast, 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick
- 1/3 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 small potatoes, about 1 . 5 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1Pierce beef several times and put into ziplock bag; dump in the Italian dressing and first sliced onion into bag.
- 2Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- 3Prepare the grill for medium heat.
- 4Drain marinade from beef and put roast onto grill rack; discard marinade and first onion.
- 5Grill roast at MEDIUM on grate, hood down, until beef is well seared, about 20 minutes, turning over at least once.
- 6Meanwhile prepare a large aluminum roasting pan lined with foil large enough that later you can cover the meat).
- 7Place the seared meat into that foil container, sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- 8Pierce the potatoes.
- 9Arrange potatoes, second onion, and carrots around meat.
- 10In a small bowl, mix beef broth, garlic, pepper, and rosemary); pour this over the meat and vegetables.
- 11Cover all with foil.
- 12Grill covered at MEDIUM heat until roast is tender, possibly up to 1 1/2 hours. Recently, made a 2 1/4 pound roast and it only took 1 hour and 15 minutes after the initial searing. Use your meat thermometer to gauge doneness level I would start checking after 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 13Allow resting time of 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Italian Chuck Roast With Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.4
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 517.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 51.1 g