Recipe by diner524
Another recipe that I found on Taste of Home that I would like to try soon. Here is what the author state: "I got this grilled chicken recipe from a friend while living in Hawaii. It sizzles with the flavors of brown sugar, ginger and soy sauce. Huli mean "turn" in Hawaiian. —Sharon Boling, Coronado, California." This serves a lot, so feel free to scale it back if needed.
Top Review by breezermom
I did cut the recipe down, and it still worked very well. Very easy to make. I started the marinade in the morning, and by dinnertime I was ready to grill! Thanks for sharing! Made for Newest Tag Game.
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine (or chicken broth)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 pounds)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1-1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between two large resealable plastic bags. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.