Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posting for ZWT6. A variation from thenibble.com And after making myself I DID reduce the butter as Kim127 suggested. And after looking at momaphet's review and the original recipe I did reduce the sugar amount. Thank you both. Also think the caramelized onion is a wonderful suggestion.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add apples, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; cook about 7 minutes, stirring frequently until most of the apple juices are reduced and the fruit is coated with a syrup.
- Remove pan from heat; set aside.
- Place four slices of the bread on a griddle.
- Top each with one slice of Havarti, 1/4 of the spiced apples, another slice of Havarti, and top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Butter the sandwich tops.
- Turn over and butter again.
- Place griddle over medium heat.
- Brown sandwiches on EACH side 3 to 5 minutes, until golden and Havarti begins to melt.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.
What a fabulous lunch!! Loved the flavor of the spiced apples with the melty havarti!! Very easy to make. You can definitely cut the butter down a bit. I used about half. Made for a Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens ZWT6!!
The added apple is an original item in a grilled sandwich for me and it was delicious! I made this for my lunch yesterday using a Fugi apple and was more than pleased. What a great combo with just a pinch of Splenda for the sugar. Yum!
WOW! I made this for me only as a late night snack and it was extremely tasty! I used the brick style havarti cheese and gala apples. I love how the cheese melted so perfectly. Made for Veg 'N Swap tag #28.