Posting for ZWT6. A variation from thenibble.com And after making myself I DID reduce the butter as Kim127 suggested. And after looking at momaphet's review and the original recipe I did reduce the sugar amount. Thank you both. Also think the caramelized onion is a wonderful suggestion.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add apples, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; cook about 7 minutes, stirring frequently until most of the apple juices are reduced and the fruit is coated with a syrup.
- Remove pan from heat; set aside.
- Place four slices of the bread on a griddle.
- Top each with one slice of Havarti, 1/4 of the spiced apples, another slice of Havarti, and top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Butter the sandwich tops.
- Turn over and butter again.
- Place griddle over medium heat.
- Brown sandwiches on EACH side 3 to 5 minutes, until golden and Havarti begins to melt.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.