Recipe by Sharon123
Grilled cheese that will melt in your mouth! For a delicious appetizer, quarter the sandwiches and serve on a platter with sliced, tart green apples! Adapted from Delicious Living magazine and changed. Feel free to try fig, peach, or pineapple preserves instead of the apricot! Yum!
Top Review by Alesha Ann
DELICIOUS! I used regular white wheat bread & Brummel & Brown spread that has yogurt in it to save on fat & calories. We added sliced deli ham at the request of my boyfriend & cut out the preserves. The cream cheese got all gooey & sealed all the wonderful flavors together. A keeper!
- 2 teaspoons salted butter, softened
- 8 slices whole wheat french bread, 1/4-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, softened (or mayonnaise)
- 2 -4 tablespoons apricot fruit spread, to taste (or preserves)
- 4 ounces havarti cheese, sliced
- 1 large avocado, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Butter 4 bread slices on one side. Place slices, butter-side down, on a clean work surface. Spread 1 tbls. cream cheese(or mayonnaise) on each slice. Now spread 1/2 to 1 tbls. fruit spread in a thin layer on top of cream cheese. Top with Havarti cheese and layer with avocado slices. Cover with remaining bread; butter tops.
- Place 2 sandwiches in the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bread is golden brown and cheese has begun to melt. Flip sandwiches over, pressing down slightly with a spatula. Continue cooking until golden brown. Serve immediately. Enjoy!