Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
Ask the butcher to cut the ham steaks for you for the tastiest, easiest dinner you've made in a long time (try it for brunch, too!) This dish is deliciously simple, so pick a simply elegant wine. Try a Chablis Premier Cru, which is a Chardonnay unadorned with oak--go for a select vineyard. The spicy ham will benefit from the wine's medium body, long finish, and thirst-quenching acidity. Try a Festbier from Germany; particularly a Marzen lager. The sweeter malts and diminished hoppiness will bring out the subtly sweet flavors of the ham and the earthy spiciness of the rub. Serve with some mashed sweet potatoes and fresh blanched green beans, if desired.
For the rub
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 center-cut boneless ham steaks, 3/4 inch thick
- To make the rub: In a small bowl, combine all rub ingredients.
- Brush melted butter on both sides of steaks; sprinkle rub to taste on both sides of the steaks. Save any leftover spice rub in an airtight container for future use.
- Grill ham over Direct Medium heat for 4-6 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Slice each cut into four quarters and serve immediately.
Easy and tasty. Maybe a tad salty, though that may vary with the brand of ham, I think Thanks!
This made a delicious rub for our gammon steaks tonight! I omitted the salt as I find gammon ham salty anyway. As it was not BBQ weather here today, we used our George Foreman grill as we had thin steaks and used a smoked oil spray to give some smoly flavour. Next time, I would lessen the cayenne pepper and use paprika in its place as I found it had a little too much heat for my personal preference- I like spices mild! I also put the rub on the meat a few hours ahead of time and the flavours developed nicely. Thanks for a keeper of a recipe!
Excellent combination!!!! I substituted paprika for cayenne. My husband loved the flavor of the spices! Our whole family devoured the ham! I loved how easy it was to throw together too! Thanks for sharing!