Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Okay, ham, cheese and pineapple what a wonderful combination! This recipe was printed in Food Everyday, March 2005.
- 2 slices sandwich bread (I prefer whole wheat)
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 2 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 2 pineapple slices, cored (thin slices)
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- On the sandwich bread, layer cheese, ham, pineapple, basil and a second slice of cheese; top with remaining bread.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, place sandwich in skillet and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip the sandwich and cook another 2 to 3 minutes or until second side is golden and cheese is melted.
This sandwich is amazing. DS is a huge fan of Canadian bacon pineapple pizza, so I knew he would love this combo. I was right, he devoured two and wanted a third!!! Since he didn't get his third, he has asked if we can have these again soon. Thank you for sharing this out of the box grilled cheese sandwich. I never would have came up with it on my own.
Nummy! My husband was skeptical at first, then demanded that I go back to recipezaar and review it!
Very interesting combination of flavors! Was looking for quick ways to use the abundance of basil I have. Didn't have swiss cheese, so I substituted smokey provolone. Will be making again!