Recipe by LilPinkieJ
Grilled Ham and Asparagus Panini Recipe from Festival Foods. This is by far my most favorite sandwich of the month. I like mine with roasted asparagus and sourdough bread. Another great option is using some melty Fontina or farmers cheese. I have also made this with thick pita bread and it adds another dimension. I love to make this sandwich for those days when you want something from those expensive Bistros, but also want to make it your own. Please try your own style and let me know how it turns out for you!
Top Review by Flautatime
This was absolutely delicious. I did not have any red pepper and I substituted Swiss cheese for the the asiago. I also used canned, drained asparagus. It was so flavorful and good and my husband ate half of the sandwiches for lunch. Thank you for posting! Fabulous recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 8 slices Italian bread (sourdough works well too)
- 3⁄4 lb deli ham, shaved
- 12 asparagus spears, lightly steamed (Try roasting for a twist)
- 4 ounces asiago cheese, sliced with a vegetable peeler
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, sliced into thin strips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl mix garlic salt and butter together. Brush one side of each of the pieces of bread. In another bowl mix mayo and pesto sauce.
- Spread mayo/pesto on other side of each slice of bread. Top 1/2 of slices of bread with ham, asparagus spears, red pepper and Asiago.
- Top with remaining bread slices and cook in a panini grill or in a large skillet with a little extra butter (like you would a grill cheese, pressing down with a heavy pan on top.).
- Cook until bread is toasted and sandwich is heated through.
- Serve with fresh fruits.