Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
This is a fantastic recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay and the Food Nework. Halibut is the favorite fish of my DH, and this is one of the ways he likes it best! Cooking time (passive time) includes two hours to marinate.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 10 sprigs fresh marjoram
- 2 (6 ounce) halibut fillets
- salt, to taste
- Glaze: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the ginger and cook an additional minute.
- Raise the heat to high, add the apple cider, brown sugar and honey, and reduce to 1 cup.
- Let cool.
- Marinade: Combine the marinade in a medium shallow baking dish.
- (I use a Tupperware container made for a marinade where you can turn it over half-way through-- or you can use a large plastic freezer bag that you can turn over--).
- Add halibut fillets and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- To Cook: Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Remove halibut from marinade and season with salt.
- Grill, skin side down, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until preferred doneness.
- During the last 1 minute of grilling, brush the skin side with the glaze.
- Remove from the grill and glaze each fillet again.
This was wonderful and made the house smell great too. Forgot to marinate early in the day, so dinner was late, but it was worth waiting for. I had around 24 oz of halibut so I doubled the recipe. The glaze which made 2 cups after reducing was more than enough. I had almost a cup left over.