Grilled Green Tomatoes & Onions
- Brush tomato and onion slices with oil and grill over medium-low heat turning once or twice, until lightly charred and soft.
- Cover bottom of shallow dish with grilled tomato slices in overlapping rows.
- Separate grilled onion slices into rings and scatter over tomatoes.
- In saucepan heat vinegar with water, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and hot pepper flakes, stirring, just until sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool.
- Stir again and pour over grilled tomatoes and onions.
- Cover and let stand 2 hours at room temperature, or up to 8 hours in refrigerator.