Top Review by Ameliahead
I had all of the ingredients for this recipe except caraway seeds, so I went ahead and made it. I was excited that I liked it, having been on a quest for non-fried green tomatoes lately. I used a red onion. It was sweet and delicious.
- 4 green tomatoes, in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, in 1/4 inch slices
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush tomato and onion slices with oil and grill over medium-low heat turning once or twice, until lightly charred and soft.
- Cover bottom of shallow dish with grilled tomato slices in overlapping rows.
- Separate grilled onion slices into rings and scatter over tomatoes.
- In saucepan heat vinegar with water, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and hot pepper flakes, stirring, just until sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool.
- Stir again and pour over grilled tomatoes and onions.
- Cover and let stand 2 hours at room temperature, or up to 8 hours in refrigerator.