Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a low carb alternative to fried tomatoes that is easy to make and tastes great. Good for the unripe tomatoes that fall off the vine before it's time (you know when you weed and knock them off)or the end of the harvest. I did make with red too and they came out just as good. The green are firm and tangy and the red are soft and sweet. A nice side, place in a sandwich or top pasta. Oh and great on a pizza!But there goes the carb watching! Take note that the fat in the marinade is not all used so the calculations are off.
- 6 green tomatoes, cleaned and stems removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh minced marjoram
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh minced oregano
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheese (goat cheese is great on these as well) (optional) or 1 cup cheese, alternative (optional)
- Cut tomatoes crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- In a large zip lock bag, gently mix tomato slices, olive oil, Tabasco or hot pepper flakes, sugar, salt and black pepper, garlic, oregano and the marjoram. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Seal and chill at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Remove tomatoes from marinade (discard or make a dressing by adding vinegar to taste!) and lay on an oiled grill over medium heat (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds) cover gas grill.
- Cook, turning once, at this point you can top with cheese if you are using until tomatoes are nicely browned, 6 to 10 minutes total.
- For Vegan omit the cheeses.
This was such an exciting new way to eat my beloved green tomatoes! My son and I gathered up fresh herbs from the herb garden and enjoyed making this together! We did not have marjoram so we used basil, rosemary, sage and thyme. The cheese on top was the PERFECT accompaniment! WONDERFUL! This is a new favorite for the grill.