Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An alternative method for grilled is given in instruction #2. The vegetable-feta mixture here absorbs loads of tangy flavor from the herbed balsamic vinegar marinade. Be sure to prepare it first and let it stand while you grill the eggplant. From the Vegetarian Times.
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese (scant 4 oz.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 flour tortillas (9- to 10-inch)
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 kalamata olives, chopped (or other good-quality)
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and diced
- To Make The Salad: In medium bowl, combine cheese, tomatoes, olives, onion, vinegar, parsley, garlic and oil. Mix well. Let stand 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cucumber, salt and pepper and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a charcoal fire or preheat gas grill on high. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil and grill, turning once, 15 to 20 minutes. (Alternatively, bake eggplant at 400F until tender, about 25 minutes.) Transfer to a plate; season with salt and pepper.
- In large skillet, warm each tortilla over medium heat just until soft and flexible, about 1 minute per side. Arrange 2 or 3 eggplant slices down center of each tortilla, overlapping slightly. With slotted spoon (to avoid getting too much liquid), spoon salad over eggplant, dividing equally. Fold bottom end of tortilla partially over filling, then roll into a bundle and serve.