Recipe by Mama Cee Jay
I adapted this recipe from Jeff Smith, Frugal Gourmet. It is easy to prepare and relatively simple to cook. Just be careful for flare ups on the grill.
Top Review by Wildflour
HEAVEN, pure heaven!!! I roasted mine whole in the oven, and stuffed the cavity with the squeezed lemons cut up! (Basted the chicken with the fresh squeezed lemon juice prior to roasting.) *Roasted at 350 for 2 1/2 hours for a 6 1/2 lb. chicken. It came out SO gorgeous!! Absolutely DELICIOUS!!! Thanks so much!! Made for the ZWT4 :)
- 5 -6 lbs roasting chickens, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice of, only
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- coarse black pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano; pour over halved chicken in a large glass baking dish. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with sea salt and black pepper. Place in refrigerator and marinate for 2 or so hours. Turn chicken at least once during marinating process.
- Preheat gas grill on medium high for five minutes. Place chicken skin side down on middle of grill and turn off inner burners so that heat is indirect. Turn chicken when skin is nicely browned and continue to cook for 1-2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 170 deg F. Remove from heat, cover loosely with foil and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.