Recipe by Sharon123
These are just as good for breakfast as they are for supper! Mixing honey with the goat cheese mades it easy to spread on the cinnamon raisin bread. Adapted from Cooking Light magazine(June 2004). An African/Middle Eastern influenced recipe.
Top Review by GIAD
Absolutely DELIGHTFUL! Not too sweet and the goat cheese wasn't overpowering. What a unique sandwich - the basil really had me wondering... I couldn't find fig preserves so I pureed some sunmaid figs. Thank you for sharing this outstanding recipe!
- 9.85 ml honey
- 1.23 ml grated lemon rind
- 113.39 g goat cheese
- 8 slice cinnamon raisin bread
- 29.58 ml fig preserves
- 9.85 ml basil, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml margarine, to coat bread (or cooking spray)
- 4.92 ml powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine honey, lemon rind, and goat cheese, stirring till blended. Spread 1 tbls. goat cheese mixture on each of 4 bread slices; top each slice with 1 1/2 teaspoons preserves and 1/2 teaspoons basil. Top with remaining bread slices. Lightly coat oustide of each sandwich with margarine or cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches to the pan. Place a weight(cast iron or heavy skillet) on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten. Cookk 3 minutes on each side, or until bread is lightly toasted, leaving pan on top of sandwiches as they cook.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Makes 4 sandwiches.