Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
A flavorful oriental salad from Curtis Stone via redbookmag.com.
Make and share this Grilled Ginger-Sesame Chicken Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons very finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha Asian chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 (9 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion (white and green parts)
For the Salad
- 1 lb napa cabbage, halved lengthwise, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 carrots, cut into matchstick-size strips (or shredded)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced on a sharp diagonal (white and green parts)
- 2⁄3 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seed (optional)
- Marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk soy sauce, ginger, canola oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sriracha and salt to blend. Transfer 3 tablespoons of the marinade to a baking dish, add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
- Dressing: Whisk vinegar and green onions into the remaining marinade. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade, add to grill pan, and cook about 4 minutes per side or until chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced in the thickest part with the tip of a small sharp knife. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes.
- Cut chicken crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- For the Salad: In a large bowl, toss chicken, cabbage, carrots, green onions, cilantro and half of the almonds with enough dressing to coat lightly.
- Mound salad in center of 4 plates. Re-whisk dressing and drizzle a little over and around salad. Sprinkle with the remaining almonds and sesame seeds.
I took this salad to a get together with friends and it was a hit with no left overs. We did not marinade the chicken as written because we didn't read the directions properly. But it still worked out. Be careful with the marinade/dressing as it is pretty strong and a little goes a long way. When it says dress lightly, PLEASE dress lightly taste and add more as needed. It's fairly easy to make and delicious.