Prep 15 mins
Cook 14 mins
This can be served as a main dish or a side dish. We usually have it as the prelude to our main course. Be sure to soak your wooden skewers in warm water for at least 20 min to 1 hour before you throw them on the grill or they will burn. I learned this the hard way...
- 1 lb large shrimp, uncooked, deveined, shelled, tails on
- 10 -12 pre soaked wooded skewers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (I don't bother removing the skin)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon of fresh lime Thai basil, chopped (standard basil will do too)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Start by getting your grill to about a medium heat. Brush the hot grill rack with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Reserve half for basting during grilling process. add rinsed shrimp to a large Ziploc baggie and add remaining marinade. Only let set for about 10-15 minutes Discard marinade.
- Skewer about 4 shrimp on each pre soaked wooden skewers. Arrange on grill so they do not overlap. Brush with reserved marinade occasionally while cooking. Grill about 7 min on each side, or until shrimp curl tail to head and turn pink.
- Garnish with lime wedges and some more chopped lime Thai basil and cilantro
- Enjoy! :).