Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
Quick and delicious grilled veggie and cheese sandwiches. Recipe from my Mom...she got it from a magazine but I can't make out which one.
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 purple onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices American cheese
- Melt 1 T. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and onion, and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Spread mayo on 1 side of half of the bread slices; top with Montery Jack cheese and tomato. Spoon mushroom mixture evenly over tomato; top with American cheese. Cover with remaining bread slices.
- Spread about 1/2 T. of softened butter on 1 side of each sandwich. Cook sandwiches, buttered side down, in a hot nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat until browned.
- Spread remaining softened butter evenly on ungrilled side; turn and cook until lightly browned.
These are yummy and easy to make. They are so good this time of year with the fresh vegetables available. I will make again! Thanks for sharing.