Recipe by AmyZoe
This is my Mom and Dad's favorite pizza crust recipe. They never grill theirs. I never would have thought about adding oats to pizza dough, but this is really good. Recipe courtesy of The News Review, Roseburg, Oregon (sometime in the 1970s). We just made the dough and had pesto and vegetables for toppings.
- 3⁄4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons quick-rising yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats or 1 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, blend shredded
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, combine water, yeast, oil, and sugar and let stand for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, and salt. Add yeast mixture and blend on low speed of electric mixer until moistened.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Do not use a hand-held mixer.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 1 minute.
- Shape dough into ball and place in greased ball, turning once. Cover and let rise in warm place 20 minutes or until nearly doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide. Divide into 4 portions.
- Press each portion of dough into 7 inch circle.
- Grill over medium-hot coals 2 to 4 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Remove from grill.
- On browned side of each pizza sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese.
- Top pizzas with bell pepper, onion, basil, garlic, and tomatoes, dividing evenly.
- Return to grill. Cover and grill 4 to 6 minutes or until bottoms of crust are golden brown and cheese begins to melt.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup cheese. Remove from grill once cheese has melted.
- Makes 4 individual pizzas.
- Baking directions: Heat oven to 425.
- Spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Pat each portion of dough into 7 inch circle onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Layer each pizza with 1/2 cup cheese, peppers, onion, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup cheese and continue baking 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.