This is a wonderful pasta salad for those hot summer days. It is very tasty and you can substitute or add to it, your preference. It may seem like a lot of steps, but once you get started, it takes no time to make and even less time to eat. My boyfriend Marvin likes the fettuccine noodles instead of the spaghetti. But you can use either one and still achieve a great taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded & minced)
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely shredded
- 6 ounces spaghetti or 6 ounces fettuccine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion (or you can use 2 leeks)
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1In a bowl combine basil, feta cheese, pine nuts, garlic, jalapeno pepper & lemon peel.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Prepare spaghetti/fettuccine noodles according to package directions.
- 5Toss pasta with olive oil, lemon juice & salt. Cover and keep warm.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare vegetables.
- 7If using leeks, trim root end & tough green leaves; halve leeks lengthwise & wash thoroughly.
- 8If using onions, cut into 3/4-inch slices.
- 9If using eggplant, peel if desired, & cut into 3/4-inch slices.
- 10If using zucchini, halve lengthwise.
- 11Brush vegetables with olive oil or cooking oil.
- 12Heat a nonstick or well-seasoned grill pan on stovetop over medium heat until hot.
- 13Add half the eggplant, onions & tomatoes to grill pan; grill about 5 minutes per side or until brown and tender.
- 14Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- 15Cut vegetables into bite-size chunks.
- 16On a large platter, swirl pasta with a fork to make a large nest, or divide pasta among 4 plates.
- 17Transfer vegetable mixture from cutting board to pasta nests.
- 18Sprinkle feta mixture over all.
- 19Makes 4 servings.
- 20For tabletop grill:.
- 21Preheat grill according to manufacturer’s directions.
- 22Grill leeks or onions, eggplant, and tomato slices on grill until eggplant and onion are tender and tomato is heated through.
- 23If using a covered grill, close lid.
- 24For covered grill:
- 25allow 5 to 6 minutes for leeks, 4 to 5 minutes for eggplant and onion & 2 to 3 minutes for tomatoes.
- 26For open grill:.
- 27allow 12 to 14 minutes for leeks, 8 to 10 minutes for eggplant, and 4 to 5 minutes for tomatoes, turning once.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Garden Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.2
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 514.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 12.3 g