Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious, totally vegan main dish. You grill the vegetables in large pieces and then chop and toss with the pasta.
- 1⁄2 cup small fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 leeks or 2 vidalia onions
- 1 zucchini
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- In a bowl, combine basil, nuts, garlic and jalapeno pepper and lemon peel and set aside.
- Prepare the spaghetti according to the package. Drain, toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. If using leeks, trim the root and tough green leaves, halve the leeks lengthwise, and wash thoroughly. If using onions, cut into 3/4 inch slices. Cut the Zucchini into halves lengthwise, Brush vegetables with olive oil.
- Heat a nonstick well seasoned grill pan (I prefer using my George Foreman). If using a stove top grill, heat over medium heat until hot. Add half the zucchini, onion and tomatoes to grill pan. Grill about 5 minutes on each side until brown and tender. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- If using a George Foreman type grill, Preheat. Grill zuchini and Onion together for 4 to 5 minutes, Grill tomatoes for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut vegetables into bite sized chunks. Swirl pasta into a large nest on a serving plate. Transfer the vegetables onto the pasta nest. Top with the basil/nut/spice mixture and serve.
It was good. I'd leave the pine nuts out if I make it again.