Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From The Cook's Bible (Christopher Kimball). The cooking time can vary considerably, depending on the size of your hens and the heat level of your grill. Prep time includes time to marinate.
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup oriental toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 rock cornish game hens
- Grate the outer layer of peel from the orange and the lemon; juice half the lemon, and place all marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Butterfly the game hens: cut out the backbone with sharp kitchen shears, turn the hen over (breast up) and bend the breast backward where it attaches to the breastbone; place your thumbs on either side of the breastbone and press down while pulling up on the outer sides of the breast with your fingers (I find this difficult--I just take the heels of my hands and smash it).
- Place hens in a plastic bag with the marinade, force out excess air, seal tight and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
- Set up grill for indirect cooking. Remove hens from marinade and grill, covered, for about 30 minutes or until breast meat registers 165-170F on an instant-read thermometer (mine took about 45 minutes).
This marinade gives the game hen an excellent citrusy flavor. Everything melds together well, with nothing overpowering. A real keeper! Would be good on salmon also!