1/3 Photos of Grilled Game Hens With Citrus, Ginger, and Soy
24 hrs 30 mins
From The Cook's Bible (Christopher Kimball). The cooking time can vary considerably, depending on the size of your hens and the heat level of your grill. Prep time includes time to marinate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grate the outer layer of peel from the orange and the lemon; juice half the lemon, and place all marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- 2Butterfly the game hens: cut out the backbone with sharp kitchen shears, turn the hen over (breast up) and bend the breast backward where it attaches to the breastbone; place your thumbs on either side of the breastbone and press down while pulling up on the outer sides of the breast with your fingers (I find this difficult--I just take the heels of my hands and smash it).
- 3Place hens in a plastic bag with the marinade, force out excess air, seal tight and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
- 4Set up grill for indirect cooking. Remove hens from marinade and grill, covered, for about 30 minutes or until breast meat registers 165-170F on an instant-read thermometer (mine took about 45 minutes).
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Game Hens With Citrus, Ginger, and Soy
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 990.5
- Calories from Fat 586
- Total Fat 65.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 336.6 mg
- Sodium 2854.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 63.3 g