Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serve with a simple spring mix-herb salad.
- 4 soft French rolls or 4 Italian rolls
- 10 -12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thickly sliced (make sure to use fresh)
- 8 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fig jam or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fig preserves, to taste
- soft butter
- Split each roll, and layer with the mozzarella and prosciutto.
- Spread the top slices with the fig jam, then close up to form sandwiches.
- Lightly butter the outside of each sandwich.
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet or panini press over med-high heat.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan, working in two batches depending on the size of the pan.
- Press the sandwiches or close the grill and brown, turning once or twice, until the bread is crisp and the cheese is melted; **you can press the sandwiches by weighting them with something heavy—such as a skillet or wide-bottomed saucepan.
- Though the rolls start off as round, once pressed they are considerably flatter and can easily be turned, if careful.
- Serve right away, cut on the diagonal.
Oh yum! These sandwiches were just so good. Love the sweetness of the fig jam and the salty prosciutto.