1 hr 5 mins
This tastes just like French Onion Soup from the grill. MMM. I am not an onion person but I love/devour this as does everyone who tries it. Super simple. We adjust the spices from italian to grilling seasonings to Old Bay. We also add cayenne as we like a touch of heat. Cheese can be varied as well. This can also be used to top your meat, we have topped beef, chicken, pork, burgers...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim and peel onion leaving a small amount on the root end.
- 2Core the center then slice almost all the way thru (looks like a bloomin onion from outback steakhouse).
- 3Place 1 tsp butter and 1 boullion in hollow core.
- 4Place in sheet of heavy duty foil and form bowl with the onion.
- 5Sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce, wine and spices. Use more or less to your tastes.
- 6Close up foil and place on medium heat grill for about 1 hour.
- 7Remove from grill.
- 8Open carefully and add cheese and croutons.
- 9Note #1: You can add water/broth to make this more soup-like.
- 10Note #2: I use a beef base or low sodium boullion as this can get salty with the boullion, croutons and the cheese.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled French Onion Soup or Not
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 834.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 5.0 g