Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This tastes just like French Onion Soup from the grill. MMM. I am not an onion person but I love/devour this as does everyone who tries it. Super simple. We adjust the spices from italian to grilling seasonings to Old Bay. We also add cayenne as we like a touch of heat. Cheese can be varied as well. This can also be used to top your meat, we have topped beef, chicken, pork, burgers...
- Trim and peel onion leaving a small amount on the root end.
- Core the center then slice almost all the way thru (looks like a bloomin onion from outback steakhouse).
- Place 1 tsp butter and 1 boullion in hollow core.
- Place in sheet of heavy duty foil and form bowl with the onion.
- Sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce, wine and spices. Use more or less to your tastes.
- Close up foil and place on medium heat grill for about 1 hour.
- Remove from grill.
- Open carefully and add cheese and croutons.
- Note #1: You can add water/broth to make this more soup-like.
- Note #2: I use a beef base or low sodium boullion as this can get salty with the boullion, croutons and the cheese.