Prep 50 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe Courtesy Bobby Flay, 2007 - Show: Boy Meets Grill - Episode: Mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms or 1 lb white button mushrooms, stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- whole head roasted garlic, pulp removed
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 loaf French bread, about 24 inches long, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated Fontina cheese
- Place the porcini mushrooms in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit until softened, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Brush the cremini or white button mushroom caps with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the mushrooms on the grill, cap side down and grill until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the caps over and continue grilling until the mushrooms are cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from the grill, let cool slightly then coarsely chop.
- Remove the porcinis from the soaking liquid and place in the bowl of a food processor with a few tablespoons of the soaking liquid. Add cremini mushrooms, garlic pulp, walnuts, parsley, and thyme in a food processor and process until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of the Pecorino Romano cheese and pulse a few times to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the bread on the cut side with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Evenly spread the pesto over the cut side of each half of bread. Top the pesto with fontina cheese, return to the grill, cheese side up, close the cover of the grill and cook until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the grill and sprinkle with the remaining Romano.