Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This came in the Miami Herald hurricane section. I didn't want to lose it. Optional toppings: canned sliced mushrooms, black olives, sun-dried tomatoes, grilled onion slices. Pita or Italian bread can be substituted.
- 24 inches French baguettes, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Brush the cut side of the baguette with oil and place oil side down on the grill to brown. Remove from grill.
- Top lightly with crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil and cheese. Return to grill and close the lid.
- Cook until cheese melts and the sauce is warmed through.