Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Time to drag out the BBQ and fire it up, along with the wine coolers! This is delish! What a great way to celebrate a summer get-together, pool party, or just to have the family together!
For the steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄3 lbs flank steaks
For the red pepper pesto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 20 basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted, chopped
- Mix the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper together, and brush the mixture on the flank steak. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the raw red pepper, shallot, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the peppers soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted red peppers and vinegar and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, cool and stir in the basil and the pine nuts.(this can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. It should be served at room temperature.).
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Grill the flank steak for 4 to 8 minutes on each side, depending on the desired doneness. Let the steak rest on a carving plate for 1 or 2 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the steak on the bias and serve it with the red pepper pesto.
- For an Asian twist: Substitute 1 tablespoons soy sauce for the balsamic vinegar. Also, add 1 tsp.minced ginger and Dijon mustard to the marinade.
Really the red pepper pesto alone deserves more than 5 stars, I used my recipe#293095 and reduced the basil only slightly, and I have to say I used my own marinade for the flank steak, the pesto paired up wonderful with the steak, thank you for a wonderful long weekend dinner that my family enjoyed very much!