Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Plan ahead. It has to marinate for a day; 2 days is better. Serves 4-6, unless you invite my son. Then you should double the onion and marinade ingredients and substitute a London Broil for the flank steak. Source - a friend of a friend who found it in a cookbook 30+ years ago.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- Place the flank steak in a sturdy resealable plastic bag. Add the sliced onions, placing them both under and on top of the meat. Mix remaining ingredients to make marinade, and pour over the meat and onions. Seal the bag and refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- To cook: Heat the grill. Remove the onions from the marinade, place them in an oven-proof dish and bake them (covered) for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Grill the meat, turning once. The original recipe says 2" from something called "hot coals". My gas grill doesn't have "hot coals", but I've heard of them -- Take care not overcook it; Medium is overcooked, IMHO.
- To serve, slice the meat thinly across the grain and top with the baked onions, or at least be honest, and tell guests that the sliced onions are available. Saving them for yourself is not polite.
O.k. first off hands down everyone agreed this is atleast a 10 star recipe. I made it 2x's this week alone, so it will be a staple. I used balsamic vinegar. The first time i marninated a steak (over night) for "big" salad, and pan fried the onions. The flavor was just amazing. So we needed to come up with dinner for tonight (2 days later). We had steak,chicken & veggie Kabobs. We are offically addicted. Is there a support group, LOL!!!! Thanks for the great recipe.
These steaks were moist and delicious! The sweet Tangy marinade was wonderful and so flavorful to the onions Thanks for a gret grilling recipe Nadacook