These are great sandwiches for a crowd during the summer. The ingredients marinate for a few hours, so you can make them ahead. Then, they go on the grill and cook very quickly. We also make these with flank steak leftovers by scaling the ingredients down. Time does not include marinating time.
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 6 large bell peppers, 3/8 inch wide strips
- 3 large red onions, 1/2 inch thick rings
- French roll, grilled
- Combine first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Divide steaks, bell peppers and red onions among large shallow pans. Pour marinade over. Turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 6 hours.
- Prepare barbecue (high heat). Drain steaks and vegetables. Grill steaks to desired degree of doneness, about 4 minutes per side for rare. Transfer to platter. Grill vegetables until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes per side. Slice steaks thinly across grain. Arrange steaks and vegetable on large platter. Serve with grilled rolls, allowing diners to assemble sandwiches.