Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Flank steak and rice.
Make and share this Grilled Flank Steak recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs flank steaks (I use a lamb shoulder steak too!)
- 2 tablespoons McCormick grill seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (dark Mexican)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lime, zest of
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (as much as you like)
- 1 lb medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Side Tomato Salad
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (beefsteak preferred)
- 2 Hass avocadoes, halved, scooped from skin and sliced
- 1⁄2 lemon juice
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons queso blanco, crumbled
- cooking spray
- Rub the meat with a mixture of grill seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder and the lime zest. Let meat stand 10 minutes. Grease grill surface then add meat and cook 5 on one side and then 5 minutes on the other.
- For the rice, heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add butter, and when melted add rice and toast for a couple of minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic and cook for a few minutes to begin to soften the veggies. Add stock and raise heat to bring up to a bubble. Stir in the tomato paste and hot sauce. Reduce heat to simmer, cover the pot and cook 18 minutes, until rice is tender. Add shrimp to the pot in the last 5 minutes of cooking. The shrimp will steam on top of the rice. Cook the shrimp until pink and firm. Combine the seafood and cilantro into the rice and season with salt, to taste.
- Season sliced tomatoes with salt and dress the avocado with lemon juice. Make 4 stacks alternating the tomatoes with avocado and onions.
- Slice the steaks and serve alongside the bed of shrimp rice, the guacamole stacks alongside. Garnish the guacamole stacks with cheese crumbles.