Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep4 hrs 30 mins
This is a Vietnamese street vendor food. Very fragrant and served with a soy lime dipping sauce.
Make and share this Grilled Five-Spice Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) whole chickens, preferably free range, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sea salt
- 4 star anise pods
- Cut the chicken into 6 pieces and make 1 or 2 slashes in each piece for faster cooking. Trim and discard any excess fat. Pat the chicken dry.Lightly toast the star anise and pound or grind into a fine powder.
- In a bowl, combine the oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar, turmeric, five-spice powder and salt. Stir well to blend. Add the chicken pieces and turn several times to coat them evenly. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Start a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to moderate heat. (You can also use a broiler.) Thirty minutes before cooking, add the freshly toasted star anise powder to the marinated chicken, turning so the meat is coated evenly.
- Place the chicken, skin side up, on the grill. Cook 10 minutes, then turn over and grill until the chicken is cooked and the juices run clear, another 10 minutes, depending on the thickness. While grilling, move the chicken pieces around so that they cook evenly. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve with the soy lime dipping sauce.