Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This salad has something for all your taste buds--and the sweet, salt, sour combines to make a great dish. From Whole Foods. Prep time includes 30 minutes to heat up the grill/marinate the figs. Note: If your figs are smaller, adjust grilling time accordingly.
- 4 large fresh figs (Black Mission or Calimyrna)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- Snip the tiny stem end off each fig and cut in half lengthwise.
- Mix vinegar, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
- Add the figs and gently toss to coat.
- Let sit while you heat a grill (indoor or outdoor).
- If necessary, coat your grill with a little olive oil.
- When ready, grill the figs (reserving all of the marinade in the bowl) for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until grill marks appear -- don't overcook as the figs will become too mushy. Remove figs to a plate.
- To the reserved marinade, add olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper, whisking well to completely incorporate.
- Place greens in a large salad bowl; toss with dressing, then mound equal amounts on 4 individual serving plates.
- Place 2 fig halves decoratively over each plate of greens and serve.
This is a lovely, sweet salad that is easy to make and sure to impress. I love the cinnamon in it. I'm sure this would be good with goat cheese and proscuitto and will add those in next time. Thanks, Chef Kate, for posting - I was given some lovely figs that I had no idea what to do with!
Produces fantastic grilled figs, bringing the best out of them, could use them as a dessert, just as well as in a salad. Simple salad of greens and figs.
At the moment we have the gool ol' California Mission figs available, so used them in this recipe, which, for me, made A UNIQUE & REFRESHING SALAD! Thanks so much for posting this great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]