Recipe by Annacia
This Middle Eastern inspired sundae is a cool way to end a meal with thick yogurt standing in for ice cream on a hot summer night. Try topping your yogurt with grilled fresh figs. Just brush them with a mixture of honey and fragrant orange blossom water and grill until caramelized. Arrange over scoops of cold yogurt and sprinkle with toasted pistachios and a drizzle of additional honey mix for a new take on a classic treat.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I tossed everything in the blender and blended for a full 2 minutes. *Yum*! My changes were I used dried figs (barhi figs) and I didn't grill them and added a small pinch of cardamom. Made for NA*ME tag Dec-Feb 2014.
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom water
- 9 medium fresh figs, stems trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 quart yogurt (thick, plain or vanilla, sweetened or not as you like)
- 1⁄3 cup pistachios, roasted, salted and coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high (about 450°F to 550°F). Meanwhile, whisk the honey, water, and orange blossom water in a small bowl until combined; set aside.
- When the grill is ready, place the figs on a baking sheet and brush both sides with the honey mixture; reserve the remaining mixture for drizzling over the sundaes. Place the figs on the grill cut-side down (Keep the baking sheet handy). Cover the grill and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Using a flat metal spatula, flip the figs, cover the grill, and cook until grill marks appear on the second side and the figs begin to soften, about 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove the figs to the reserved baking sheet.
- To serve, scoop the desired amount of yogurt into 6 bowls. Divide the figs among the bowls, sprinkle with the pistachios, and drizzle with the remaining honey mixture.
- Serve immediately.