Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This delicious and healthier version of falafel is from Faye Levy's wonderful cookbook "1000 Jewish Recipes".
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup small sprigs fresh cilantro or 1⁄3 cup Italian parsley
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cups canned chick-peas or 3 cups cooked chickpeas, well-drained
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tsp.ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg white
- Mince garlic and cilantro in food processor. Add onion to mixture in processor and mince it by pulsing. Add chickpeas, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper cayenne and bread crumbs. Process with brief pulses to a chunky puree, scraping down sides occasionally. Add egg white and process until blended. Transfer to a bowl. Mix well.
- Shape mixture into 8 smooth patties. Pack mixture firmly when shaping so that falafel holds together.
- Heat grill and brush with oil. Grill falafel patties over medium heat about 5 minutes per side or until slightly firm on top, turning patties over carefully with 2 spatulas. Serve hot.