1/1 Photo of Grilled Falafel
I love falafel but rarely eat it given that most kinds are fried. Just found this on the Internet and it looks like a wonderful option.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaf
- 1 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 pita bread, whole-wheat or white
- 4 pieces green lettuce
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 1Heat the oil in a medium, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until the onion is soft and the garlic golden, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
- 2Place the sautéed onion in a blender or food processor. Add the chickpeas. Pulse to coarsely chop the beans. Add cilantro, parsley, rice, curry and cayenne. Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and evenly distributed. Turn the mixture into a bowl.
- 3Add the juice and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs. Have the remaining bread crumbs ready in a shallow dish or bowl. With your hands, knead the chickpea mixture until it is like a moist dough. Scooping up 1/4 cup at a time, form the chickpea mixture into patties. Coat lightly with remaining breadcrumbs. Repeat, making eight 3-inch patties.
- 4Heat the grill, griddle, or cast iron skillet. Brush lightly with oil. Place the patties down an inch apart. Cook 4 minutes, until brown in spots. Turn and cook another 4 minutes, to brown lightly on second side. Or, heat the broiler and place the falafel in a shallow foil-lined pan. Broil 3 minutes, turn and cook on the other side for 3 minutes. Serve immediately on whole-wheat pita with lettuce and sliced tomato.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Falafel
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.9
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 801.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 15.6 g