Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy, meatless meal or an appetizer/snack/salade for more. I like to top them with a cheese slice then broil till lightly browned. Prep time includes 20 minutes to prepare - salt, drain and blot the eggplant slices. You can peel the eggplant though I don't find it bitter.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaves, packed tightly
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & quartered
- 1 inch ginger, peeled & sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- black pepper
Amounts depend on size or poundage of available vegetables
- eggplant, slice into 12 1/2 inch thick unpeeled rounds prepare by kosher salting each side,placing slices in a
- tomatoes, slice into 12 1/4 inch thick unpeeled rounds
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, slice into 12 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place garlic cloves, shallots and olive oil in a small nonreactive baking dish, stir to coat Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Bake 30- 40 minutes till soft.
- In a blender combine the cooked and remaining vinaigrette ingredients, puree till smooth Preheat grill or broiler.
- Combine tamari, olive oil and pepper in a small bowl.
- Brush on eggplant slices.
- Grill or broil eggplant slices 1-2 minutes per side or until browned and soft Alternate 3 slices each of tomato, mozzerella and eggplant on 4 plates.
- Lightly drizzle vinaigrette on the prepared slices or serve on the side.
A little fiddly, but very, very nice. The vinagrette in particular was very unusual, sort of pesto with a hint of orient. We really liked it. Also, I grilled the eggplabt on a grill pan instead of proper grill, and it was just fine. I used both mozzarella and goat cheese, and both went well. Thanks for the recipe!