Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A recipe I found in Cooking Light July 2007 I wanted to save and try out. I loooove eggplant and this sounds divine!
- 1 lb eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine, dry
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 small zucchini, small
- 1 small yellow squash, small
- 1 large red bell pepper, large (quartered length-wise and seeded)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, fresh ground
- 1⁄4 cup goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, fresh chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, fresh chopped
- Place eggplant slices in colander; sprinkle evenly with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Let stand 10 minutes and then rinse slices thoroughly; dry with paper towels.
- Combine vinegar, wine, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to about 1/4 cup (8 minutes).
- Prepare grill.
- Trim ends from the zucchini and yellow squash; slice length-wise into 4, 1/4-inch strips.
- Flatten pepper pieces with hand.
- Brush vegetables with olive oil then sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Place pepper pieces skin side down, eggplant, zucchini and squash on grill rack.
- Grill 8 minutes or until tender turning once.
- Combine cheese with basil and oregano.
- To assemble stack, place 1 eggplant slice on plate.
- Top with 1/4 of the cheese mixture lay one strip of squash and one strip zucchini side by side.
- Drizzle with 1.5 tsp balsamic mixture. Then place 1 piece of pepper and top with another eggplant slice.
- Repeat procedure with remaining vegetables, cheese, and sauce.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
It is divine! And I don't love eggplant, especially!