Recipe by SarasotaCook
I love these - these are so easy and such great flavor. I get a nice loaf of fresh pumpernickel and cut thick slices. Add some very thin sliced red onion, grilled eggplant, crumbled goat cheese, fresh basil, garlic aioli and roasted red peppers. Just perfect! I like to press it down lightly as it grills simply brushed with a little oil on the grill and it is a perfect sandwich. Served with a salad, soup or fresh grilled fries.
Top Review by lisastolen
I've made these three times now. They are fantastic! Try recipe Recipe #5335 for the pumpernickel. Leftover eggplant stacks make a super breakfast with an egg and aioli on top.
- 8 slices of thick fresh pumpernickel bread
- 1 eggplant, cut into rounds (I like to use the Japanese eggplant that do not need to be peeled and much sweeter -1/2-inch thick)
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red roasted red pepper (jarred peppers work fine for this)
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup basil leaves, rough chopped
- 1 red onion (medium, cut in half and then thin sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, to roast the eggplant
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Aioli -- Mix the mayonnaise, garlic, parsley and lemon in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until later.
- Eggplant -- Drizzle the eggplant with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or foil 10-12 minutes on the middle shelf until tender. Remove and let cool.
- Sandwich -- Spread the aioli on the bottom slice of the bread and top with the red onion, then the eggplant, tomato, basil, goat cheese, and red peppers. Top with another slice of bread also slathered with the aioli.
- Grill -- Season your grill pan with a little olive oil and just grill the sandwich on each side until golden brown. It only takes a few minutes.
- ENJOY! a nice light, bit healthier sandwich.