Recipe by Sharon123
After trying grilled eggplant on a pizza I was hooked! I changed the recipe so much that I have posted my version. Use more or less sauce, I like mine saucy! My DH, DS and DD all said it's one of the best pizzas they have ever had, and my DH doesn't even like eggplant! Enjoy!
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
I used my homemade whole wheat crust, homemade sauce (w/all the seasonings), the eggplant, 1 red bell pepper and a leek (plus cheese!) I sprinkled the leek on and roasted the pepper strips and the eggplant. I loved the flavor of the roasted veggies, esp. the pepper. I would use more bell pepper next time. Thanks for the great idea, Sharon.
- 1 premade 12-inch pizza crust (I used Mama Mary's)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup spaghetti sauce (I used Del Monte Green Pepper Mushroom)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (or half provolone)
- 1 small eggplant, peeled, cut in 1/4-inch rounds
- olive oil, to saute
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced (button and portobello mix is good!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- olive oil, to drizzle (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and broil on low about 8" from flame, about 6-8 minutes on each side(or you may grill). Cut rounds in half. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan, lightly saute red bell pepper, scallions, red onion, and mushrooms in olive oil until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Layer pizza crust with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese, eggplant, and scallion-red onion-mushroom mixture. Sprinkle over oregano and basil, lightly drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a 450*F. oven for 12-14 minutes. Cut into slices and enjoy!