Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
After trying grilled eggplant on a pizza I was hooked! I changed the recipe so much that I have posted my version. Use more or less sauce, I like mine saucy! My DH, DS and DD all said it's one of the best pizzas they have ever had, and my DH doesn't even like eggplant! Enjoy!
- 1 premade 12-inch pizza crust (I used Mama Mary's)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup spaghetti sauce (I used Del Monte Green Pepper Mushroom)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (or half provolone)
- 1 small eggplant, peeled, cut in 1/4-inch rounds
- olive oil, to saute
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced (button and portobello mix is good!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- olive oil, to drizzle (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and broil on low about 8" from flame, about 6-8 minutes on each side(or you may grill). Cut rounds in half. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan, lightly saute red bell pepper, scallions, red onion, and mushrooms in olive oil until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Layer pizza crust with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese, eggplant, and scallion-red onion-mushroom mixture. Sprinkle over oregano and basil, lightly drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a 450*F. oven for 12-14 minutes. Cut into slices and enjoy!
I used my homemade whole wheat crust, homemade sauce (w/all the seasonings), the eggplant, 1 red bell pepper and a leek (plus cheese!) I sprinkled the leek on and roasted the pepper strips and the eggplant. I loved the flavor of the roasted veggies, esp. the pepper. I would use more bell pepper next time. Thanks for the great idea, Sharon.
We loved every bite of this w/all our favorite adds for pizza, esp eggplant. I even have a cookbook devoted to eggplant! I made 2 mini pizzas for ea of us using pita pockets for the crust, added black olives because I had them & garlic that I viewed as missing & a must! This is a great choice for us on nites DH works late & comes home wanting a light meal. Great recipe! Thx for posting it for us.