Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Melanzane Ripiene is it's translation. This recipe just called to me, I got it from the dietician's magazine, "Diet & Nutrition." So am keeping it here for safe-keeping. Have not allowed for cooling times.
GOAT CHEESE FILLING
- 3 ounces feta cheese
- 8 ounces laura chenel goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 eggplant, cut into 10 lenghtwise slices
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil
- 10 baby spinach leaves
- 2 fresh roasted red peppers, cut into wide strips
VIETNAMESE SPICY HOT SAUCE
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes, red crushed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (not the bottled kind)
- 3 tablespoons water
- ROASTED RED PEPPERS:.
- To fire roast red peppers, put both red peppers on top of gas burner and cook on each side until the skin is black and crispy, about 3 minutes per side depending on your burners.
- Put charred peppers in a paper bag and allow to cool.
- Brush the charred skin off and then deseed, derib and slice into strips. (Have those ready before you prepare the rest of the dish.).
- GOAT CHEESE FILLING:.
- Blend feta and goat cheese with mint and garlic; put aside.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with garlic oil and bake in a 400ºF oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- When cooled, flip each eggplant slice over on a work surface.
- Lay one spinach leaf on each slice, followed by a red pepper slice. Roll about 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese mixture into a cigar-shaped log the width of each eggplant slice and lay on top.
- Roll the eggplant slice widthwise.
- VIETNAMESE SPICY HOT SAUCE:.
- Combine garlic, lime peel, and red pepper flakes then add lime juice, fish.
- sauce, water, and sugar.
- Increase red pepper flkes, as needed.
- Whisk until all ingredients are blended.
- and sugar is dissolved.
- Will keep short periods if refrigerated.
- Cut on a bias and serve garnished with a small amount of Vietnamese Spicy Hot Sauce.