1 hr 30 mins
Long slices of grilled eggplant are layered with tomatoes and several cheeses, so it becomes a kind of lasagna without pasta. While the tomatoes cook, they release a good deal of juice, so this dish is a lot juicier, but far easier, than traditional lasagna. I have had this recipe for quite some time and believe it comes from our local newspaper. Prep time includes the 20 minutes of salting and draining the eggplant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, cut into julienne strips
- 3 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1/2 lb Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- 1Using an 8 x 11 inch baking dish (or a dish about tht size).
- 2Layer the eggplant with salt in a colander.
- 3Set the colander on a large plate for 20 minutes.
- 4Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry.
- 5Drizzle the eggplant on both sides with oil.
- 6Cook on a grill, turning often, until cooked through.
- 7Remove from the grill and set aside.
- 8Set the over to 350 degrees.
- 9Rub the inside of the baking dish with oil.
- 10Layer as follows: Place several slices of eggplant in the dish.
- 11Add black pepper, 1/2 the basil, 1/2 the tomatoes, 1/3 of the Fontina, 1/3 of the mozzarella, 1/3 of the Romano.
- 12Continue layering in this way until you have made: 3 layers of eggplant and 2 layers of tomatoes.
- 13Sprinkle the top layer with the remaining cheese.
- 14Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cheese browns and the juices are bubbling at the edges.
- 15Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Eggplant Lasagna With Tomatoes and Three Cheeses
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.3
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 132.9 mg
- Sodium 1078.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 38.0 g