Recipe by sriddell
I cut this recipe out of the local paper. I haven't tried yet, but it looks really good.
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil (divided)
- 1 (12 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
- 8 ounces shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, sweat the garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over low heat for a few minutes. Do no allow to brown.
- Add red pepper flakes, oregano and half the basil. Cook and stir for 1 minute then add crushed tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Heat a grill to high (counter top style grills should work well).
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill slices 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove slices from grill and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spoon about 1 ounce of cheese on one end of each eggplant slice and roll up. Let rest on seam.
- Brush the bottom of baking dish with remaining olive oil.
- Place eggplant rolls (involtini) in dish. Ladle tomato sauce over top and sprinkle with the remaining basil and any remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minues before serving.