Chef #692413's Note:
I cut this recipe out of the local paper. I haven't tried yet, but it looks really good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (divided)
- 1 (12 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
- 8 ounces shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1In a saucepan, sweat the garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over low heat for a few minutes. Do no allow to brown.
- 2Add red pepper flakes, oregano and half the basil. Cook and stir for 1 minute then add crushed tomatoes.
- 3Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- 5Heat a grill to high (counter top style grills should work well).
- 6Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Grill slices 3 minutes on each side.
- 8Remove slices from grill and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- 9Allow to cool to room temperature.
- 10Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 11Spoon about 1 ounce of cheese on one end of each eggplant slice and roll up. Let rest on seam.
- 12Brush the bottom of baking dish with remaining olive oil.
- 13Place eggplant rolls (involtini) in dish. Ladle tomato sauce over top and sprinkle with the remaining basil and any remaining cheese.
- 14Bake for 15 minutes.
- 15Let rest 10 minues before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Eggplant (Involtini Il Forno)
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.5
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 29.8 mg
- Sodium 437.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 10.9 g