Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This dish can be served cold or warm, but serving it cold in the summer time is highly recommended. Please visit my blog, www.innerharmonynutrition.com for more gluten-free, low-GI, pesco-vegetarian recipes.
- 2 -3 long oriental eggplants
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1 cup water or 1 cup kombu dashi soup
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste
- 1⁄2 cup daikon radish, grated
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 dash nanami togarashi (option)
- Slice eggplants lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices and soak in water for 10 minutes to remove the bitter taste.
- Heat water or dashi in a sauce pan and add tamari, ginger, sugar and chili paste to make a marinade. When the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray or brush olive oil on one side of eggplant slices and grill them with the oiled side down for a few minutes until they are nicely browned.
- Spray or brush olive on the top side of the eggplant slices, flip and grill the other side as well.
- Soak the grilled eggplant slices in the marinade. Refrigerate if you are going to serve it cold.
- When you are ready to serve, place eggplant slices with some marinade in a dish, put grated daikon radish and scallion slices on top, and sprinkle sesame seeds and shichimi togarashi.
- Infuse love and serve!