Recipe by InnerHarmonyNutrition
This dish can be served cold or warm, but serving it cold in the summer time is highly recommended. Please visit my blog, www.innerharmonynutrition.com for more gluten-free, low-GI, pesco-vegetarian recipes.
- 2 -3 long oriental eggplants
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1 cup water or 1 cup kombu dashi soup
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste
- 1⁄2 cup daikon radish, grated
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 dash nanami togarashi (option)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice eggplants lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices and soak in water for 10 minutes to remove the bitter taste.
- Heat water or dashi in a sauce pan and add tamari, ginger, sugar and chili paste to make a marinade. When the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray or brush olive oil on one side of eggplant slices and grill them with the oiled side down for a few minutes until they are nicely browned.
- Spray or brush olive on the top side of the eggplant slices, flip and grill the other side as well.
- Soak the grilled eggplant slices in the marinade. Refrigerate if you are going to serve it cold.
- When you are ready to serve, place eggplant slices with some marinade in a dish, put grated daikon radish and scallion slices on top, and sprinkle sesame seeds and shichimi togarashi.
- Infuse love and serve!