Recipe by nirvanadaisy
Besides being an interesting variation on a regular green salad, this eggplant salad is simple to make and really flavorful. It also presents very well and is a great inclusion for a party menu.
Top Review by JennyMidget
Tasty, but maybe a little oily for my tastes - I've got a non-stick grill so rather than brushing on oil next time I'll use an olive cooking spray for a light oil flavour. Also thought maybe some rocket to bulk it out a bit?
- 4 eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts (dry roast in a pan until light brown)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (roll leaves up like a cigar, and finely slice)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into ¼ inch slices. Heat up a grill pan (or grill). Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried oregano. Grill eggplants for 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender. Using a grill pan – as opposed to a regular pan - gives the eggplants brown grill marks which look really attractive when you present the salad. If you don’t have a grill pan, it’s only aesthetic so don’t worry.
- Arrange the grilled slices on a serving platter. Sprinkle feta, pine nuts, basil and mint over the top. Finally, just before serving, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper as needed.